Monday, April 1, 2013

One of "Those Days"

I believe that as mothers, God gives us "those days".

They don't come as often as we'd like, but they do come.

Today has been one of those days.

Here's the back story:

The week before we moved was the time change. This threw my baby for a loop.

Bedtime was way off, though it did make waking up at 7:30 instead of 6:30. Nice.

Add to that the fact that mom and dad were out at our new house trying to get it ready to move in. So grandma was watching him at night and putting him down. Totally not his usual routine. I figured we'd fix it when we moved.

Then we moved (!) He got put in his own room, with a crib for the first time. He quickly learned how to pull himself up and shake said crib. And he couldn't get down. So again, naps all messed up, and bedtime taking much longer than usual.

After a few days he adjusted, but then he turned one (!) This meant the start of loads of sugar. And whole milk, which took his little body a few days to adjust to.

Mix in there a few nights of just not being home at bedtime, which means falling asleep in the car and then wanting to play when we get home instead of going back to bed, and short nap times all over the place.

This all leads to mommy having a break down on Saturday because baby is not sleeping and I'm too tired to deal with it and finally daddy forces mommy to take a nap too.

We finally resolved to spend this whole week just trying to get his bed time back to a normal time and hope that this would fix his naps and make our days go a little bit smoother.

Today my baby has gone done for both naps, without a peep. Not one sound. It has been almost a month since that happened. And he's slept for a good long time. It's just the break that I needed.

I know I was given this day so I would have the energy and belief to go on being a mom. Even when I don't think I do a very good job. At least for today, he slept.

No comments: