Thursday, June 11, 2009

First Step

K, I have other stuff to post about, but I had to acknowledge that today I took my first step toward doing something I really love to do. About a year after my divorce I sat down one day and wrote out my story. Not every single detail, but a good summary and some things I had learned. It just kind of came to me in one of those wonderful moments of writing that I love to experience. It literally flowed from my fingers. And then I didn't do anything with it. I typed it up and saved it on a jump drive somewhere and decided, hey, good job, good writing exercise.

A few months after that I had the thought (which was prompted by others) that I should send it in to the Ensign. I thought, wow, that would be cool. And then I formatted it the way they like it and saved it again. And did nothing. I was too nervous that it wasn't good enough or that it wasn't spiritual enough.

Finally, today, I decided to take that leap, that jump, that first tiny step, and I submitted the article to the Ensign. Now, I don't know if they'll like it, or if it'll ever get published, but it's out there and I tried. And hopefully they choose it one day and publish it, and more than that, hopefully it touches someone out there who needed to here that divorce is not the end and that trials can make you stronger.

6 comments:

Roods said...

Wow that is awesome Melis. I hope they pick it and it gets published. I hope things are going well for you guys. Are you free to play the 26 when Marci and Nat...and their husbands of course...come up. It has been too long since we have all gotten together.

The Earley's said...

You are so amazing, Melissa! I'm so impressed that you were able to take that leap. I wish I could be more like that. I hope they publish it!

Matt and Marci said...

yay! I'm so proud of you!

Shae said...

Wow! That is so amazing and inspiring! I hope you are able to have it published in the Ensign. I'm sure it does take a lot of courage to do something like that that is so personal for you. Great job!

Amy said...

i didn't know you were married before. i'm sure that was hard to go through and writing about it and sending it in was probably hard too. but you made it through that trial and your experiences will help someone, whether it's through the ensign, you talking to them personally, or someone telling your experience to someone else. that's wonderful you decided to do that. i don't know if i could. :)

Natalie Loris said...

Yay!!! I'm so proud of you! That's an awesome step forward :) I love you so much!