Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Our Story, Part 1

So awhile back, I promised that I would write down "our story" on here, for those of you who've never heard it. I love our story, and I love to tell it, but I think I've told to a million times, and those who've heard it have probably heard it more than once. So I've gotten a little shy about telling it in the off chance that it will bore someone. But seeing how this is my blog, and I can put whatever I want on here, and we just celebrated our 1 YEAR anniversary, I figured it's appropriate. (I wanted to put pictures in with all of this, but they're printed, not digital for most, and they're all packed away right now. sorry.)

I was attending Brighton High School in 2001 when Brian moved to Sandy. One day in the choir room, my boyfriend Tony introduced me to his "best friend" Rookie, aka Brian. I thought to myself that he was kinda cute, but I am sorry to say I didn't pay much attention, as I was just starting to date this other guy. We quickly became friends though, and started hanging out a lot: me, Brian, and my boyfriend.

Over the next few months, it didn't take me long to realize that I really liked Brian, and we had a lot of fun together. As I was figuring this out though, Brian decided he had to move on and started dating someone else. Because of this, I kept dating my boyfriend and we continued to just hang out and be friends.

Our senior year, because my boyfriend had already graduated and his girlfriend went to a different school, we still ended up spending a lot of time together in classes and at performances, because we were both in the choir. By two months into the school year I knew that I really wasn't happy with my boyfriend and that I would much rather be with Brian. But I couldn't bring it up because he was dating someone else and we were just friends. So instead, because my parents wouldn't let me take only my boyfriend to the school dances, I asked Brian, as a friend, to the Women's Association Dance on November 10, 2001. (I also forgot to mention it to my boyfriend, who later found out and was extremely jealous.)

That night was perfect. Since it was girl's choice, I drove and paid, but Brian was a complete gentleman the entire night. He opened my doors and pulled out chairs, and to be honest, I don't really remember who else was in our group except my friend Stephanie. We had dinner at the Great America Hotel Cafe, and then went to the dance which was held at the Union Building at the University of Utah. We had pictures taken, and danced the night away. It was the best feeling in the world to be close to him. After the dance we went to a friends house and played games and ate dessert and then I dropped him off at his house. I was tempted to kiss him but I didn't, and I went home feeling really happy.

The next day at church, my mom leaned over to me and asked me how the dance went. I remember saying, "Wonderful," and then breaking down into tears. I cried through the whole meeting and went home after and fell asleep crying. I probably was exhausted from being out so late, but also, I had realized that I wanted to be with someone who treated me like Brian had, and I wanted to feel as good about myself as I had that night, all the time. And I wasn't happy in my current relationship. The next day, I broke up with my boyfriend of 9 months.

I purposely did not tell Brian because I knew he would assume it was because of him and feel bad or freaked out, or whatever. He did find out though and things were weird for a while. But they got better. He did not break up with his girlfriend and we continued the year as friends, though it soon changed to best friends as we continued to spend more time talking and hanging out. I soon realized how much I really liked him and put massive efforts in to flirting with him, which was slightly reciprocated, but he still continued to date the other girl. I did not give up though. I could retell countless stories of how he flirted dangerously with me, and I went swooning about for a few days afterwards, only to find out that he was still with her. It made life exciting though. And I lived for the drama in high school.

Because we got to be so close I eventually confessed that I liked him and he said he had liked me too when we first met, but he was dating this other girl now. So we left it at that. I was falling harder and harder for him with each day, but I knew I'd missed my chance. By the time graduation rolled around, I was heartbroken at the prospect of never seeing him again, because I was moving to Logan and he was staying in Salt Lake. I was determined to dance with him at our Senior Dinner/Dance, but for other reasons he had to miss it. When I signed his yearbook, I mentioned that he still owed me that dance and left it at that.

The night of graduation, we went to the all night party together, and hung out with our friends. At about 3:30 he drove me home. It was late and it had been an emotional day, so when Brian pulled into my stake center parking lot, I knew that I was going to cry. He walked around and opened my door, reached out his hand and said, "I believe I owe you one last dance." We danced in the parking lot under the lamp post, just like you would see it in the movies. (That's one thing I love about Brian, he has always given me movie moments.) I bawled on his shoulder, and he just held me close and comforted me. It was the perfect ending to our high school years.

No comments: