Thursday, June 21, 2007

Killer hills...

Brian and I have been trying to go biking on a more regular basis lately. Things get in the way some nights, but we try. On Tuesday night we rode about 1.5 miles and I was doing OK. Brian has made it his goal to make my bike as comfortable as possible so I won't hurt as much after. He got me some cute new bike shorts, so my bum won't be sore. (It's still not used to the bike seat, but at least I can sit on a regular chair without moaning.) And he got a new stem, so I won't be hunched over, and he raised my seat so my knees won't hurt. He's so cute about it. So last night we decided to go out again and try and go a little farther.

So we were riding around and just gradually climbing up the mountain behind our house, up to the temple. I was doing pretty good, not really hurting, except for the good kind where you know you're getting a good workout. Then we realized that we were just down about a 1/4 of a mile from the temple. So we decided to go for it. We turned the next corner and come face to face with.... the steepest hill I've ever seen! Well not really, but trying to ride up any amount of steepness on a bike is really intimidating. So we start going for it, and I'm doing alright, until we get about 3/4 of the way up. So we stop, drink some water, rest a little, and start again. At this point we'd already ridden the 1.5 miles to match the night before and I was feeling it. So we get going again, and all of a sudden, my body is killing me. It definitely did not want to go on any more. I pushed myself all the way to the top, about 150 feet and I literally threw myself off my bike onto the wet grass. (Did I mention it was 8:00 at night and still probably 90 degrees?) So yeah. I just sat there wanting to cry because my body hurt so bad. Mostly just my knees because I don't have the muscles there that I need yet. My heart was beating really fast as well.

So I sat there and tried to stop hurting and Brian came over to sit by me too. This older lady came out of her house across the street and asked if we were OK. I guess she had been watching and saw me throw myself to the ground. I said I was fine and I was just tired. I thought that was nice of her. Finally, I was able to stand again, and I realized that we were about two blocks from the temple. But it was still all uphill. I just couldn't make it. So we road home, mostly downhill all the way, which was good. We'll save reaching the temple for another day.

My legs felt like jello most of the night, but this morning I seem to be fine. A little sore, but not dying. Brian said even he was sore and he does this all the time, so that made me feel better. :) We rode 3 miles and climbed about 700 feet. Go us! We'll see if we can make it all the way to the temple next time.

P.S. I'm toying with the idea of starting another blog, just for scrapbooking purposes. For those of you who are interested I'll keep you updated.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I know how you feel. The neighbor hood we live in has so many hills it's a killer ecspecially when I am pulling two kids in the bike trailer. I usually have to get off and walk on the really big hills. It's worth it though riding your bike is just fun and good exercise.

Amy said...

From Amy.