Friday, March 6, 2009

Taking the Time

First of all I want to thank everyone for your great suggestions. It helps me realize I'm not the only one that gets frustrated with this kind of thing. And I'll probably be taking some of you up on your offers. :) It's great to know I have such wonderful friends.

So, we're a week into March and we're just itching for Spring Break at our house. Spring Break means a lot of different things.

First, it means that the weeks leading up to Spring Break are full of stress. Brian is working late nights and is constantly at the Architecture Building. He has a midterm review next week so he's trying to get everything finished for that.

Second, for Brian it means sleep. And biking. If the snow is melted. And he's probably not going to work even, unless he's really bored by the end of the week. He just needs some time to recharge. Also, at least this year, we're probably going to St. George at the end of the break, for more of the biking, and to celebrate.

Celebrate what you ask? The third meaning of Spring Break, which is OUR ANNIVERSARY! St. Patrick's Day is our 2 year anniversary. I can't believe it's been two years. I'm sure I'll spout more about how wonderful and great Brian is once the day is actually here, but I'm excited.

So yes, we have multiple reasons to be excited for Spring Break, but until then there's still a lot of stress on Brian. So last night, after I got home from the baby shower and when Brian got home a little while later, I decided we needed a Spring Break preview. :)

Sometimes you just need to take those few moments you may have to just be together and do something other than sit in your house or go to bed. Brian happened to get home just before 10. Usually he'll sit down on the couch, looking glazed over and exhausted, and last night was no different. But I knew that if I didn't get him out of the house and doing something where he didn't have to think that he might lose it. (OK, not really, but he needed a break.)

So I suggested we go for hot chocolate, or Slurpee's, or ice cream, or something. Just get out of the house. Brian suggested...sock shopping. :) (I needed new socks because mine tend to get holes in the heels.)

So we drove down to Smith's Marketplace and yes, picked up some socks. But we also just walked around. We just wandered. I could see the stress just coming off his shoulders. I know he still has stress and has lots to do, but I think it helped to just not be thinking about any of it. Any time he brought it up, I distracted him by pulling him to look at something else in the store. We even ended up getting him a "good" Frisbee. (He wanted a real one not a kids' one.) Then of course we grabbed a pint of Half Baked ice cream and headed home. We stayed up to watch David Blaine (who is kind of creepy but hard to look away from) and ate the ice cream together.

Today Brian went back to school, and he'll probably be stressed all through next week until Friday night hits, but I'm glad we took the time to just go do that. I think those are the things you'll remember down the road. Sure you remember the stress and how hard things were/are, but those are the times you create memories. :)

2 comments:

Natalie Loris said...

So you are coming down? Oh ok. I'll have to call you then :) Yay!

Wolfley Family said...

I know you're actually quite familiar with St. George... but I still "second" your idea to go down that direction for Spring Break :) Greg & I took the kids to Zions, Bryce, and St. George for spring break last year and it is SO nice to get away from here for a little while... enjoy your break and anniversary!!