Saturday, October 29, 2011

My Baby Brought My Laugh Back

In high school, back when life was easier & I had less to worry about, I was known for my laugh.

It was loud & happy & maybe a even a little annoying. But it was mine. Unique. Resonating. Contagious.

I was proud of my laugh. I knew you could hear it from way down the hall. But I figured it was a good thing, because maybe it put a smile on someones face.

But life doesn't stay easy like high school. Life can get hard, real fast.

At 21, I lost that laugh. I even lost my smile.

I could still fake it & make people think I was fine. But the smile never reached my eyes and the laugh never came from my gut. Only those closest were able to see that.

Then Brian came back into my life. And he brought my real smile that lit up my face and reached all the way to my eyes. And he even brought back my laugh. But it didn't come as easily as in high school. And it wasn't as common.

I figured this is just the way life goes. You grow up & stop being loud & obnoxious. And I was so happy. So I didn't miss that old laugh.

Then I lost my first baby. And my laugh and smile faded a little bit. Even though I found the healing I needed, I never found a way to bring my laugh back to what it once was.

And then this baby came. And I screamed and cried for joy. And I could hardly keep it in because I wanted to shout to the world.

And I started to notice my laugh again.

I noticed that it not only reaches my eyes, but it comes from all the way down in my gut.

Like my baby is laughing with me & wants me to be as happy as I can possibly be.

So this is for you Baby Boy.

This is to all the laughs I plan to have with you for the rest of my life.

Thank you for choosing to come to our family.

Thank you for bringing my laugh back.

~~

In case you didn't catch that:

IT'S A BOY!!!

5 comments:

Celeste said...

I'm so excited for you Melissa! You're going to be such a good mother and your son is going to be such a mommy's boy. I'm glad you're really smiling and laughing again :D

Stephanie • My Orange Chair said...

I love your laugh! It did seem toned down the last couple of years and so I'm glad to know you are feeling it again :) Congrats on the growing baby boy! I'm so thrilled for you.

Unknown said...

We miss you guys. Once in a while, we come back from work or school and see that there is no Glad's car parked next to ours. We miss hearing your laugh from the upstairs, too.

Heidi said...

Congratulations!!!!!

Amy said...

Congrats! You are so cute can't wait to see pictures of you cute little baby what a fun time for you guys.